Medical Indemnity
In certain areas and specialties, the Lead Employer have arranged block cover medical indemnity in non-NHS organisations to improve governance and secure financial savings for the NHS.


Medical Indemnity

It is your responsibility as a trainee to ensure that you have sufficient clinical and professional indemnity cover N.B. it is not the responsibility of the Lead Employer to provide indemnity cover.


For your information when you are working in an NHS Trust you will normally covered by the Clinical Indemnity Scheme set up by that Trust with NHS Resolution. However, this will not include you for professional indemnity cover and you should arrange that for yourself. Any concerns please check with your host Trust.


GP Trainees only – whilst working in a GP Practice you will be covered for clinical indemnity under the Department of Health’s Scheme for GP Practices set up with NHS Resolution. For all remaining clinical indemnity claims that arise from working on non-NHS work and for professional indemnity claims you will be covered by a scheme set up by Health Education England with either MDU or MDDUS; if unsure which medical defence organisation applies in your particular situation then please contact us.


For non GP Trainees working in placements outside the NHS e.g. Hospices, Local Authorities, Sports Clubs etc. please check with your host in relation to clinical indemnity cover.  If none is provided by your host it is your responsibility to ensure you have adequate cover along with professional indemnity cover.

  University of Liverpool JMU Parliamentary Review Advancing Quality Alliance Speak out safely HSJ

Follow Us
Twitter Facebook YouTube
Site Map
Shared Services © 2021 Developed by St Helens and Knowsley Health Informatics Accessibility Cookie Policy